Top safety tips for new homeowners in West Palm Beach
If you purchased your first home or you’re preparing to, congratulations! It’s an exciting time for you and your family. You’re likely pondering how you can customize your property with paint, furnishings, and decor. But, before you go all-in on redecorating, be sure you give thought to home security as well. Keeping the ones you care about protected should always be a top priority, and we’ll help you do so with the following safety tips for new homeowners in West Palm Beach.
Perform a safety audit of your new West Palm Beach property
Now that you’re thinking about safety, discover what your new home has in terms of protection. To start, make sure you have functioning smoke detectors. Test each one and switch out batteries if required. Are CO detectors on site? Is there a water sensor in the cellar? This is also a perfect time to update door locks and check all locks on windows. Go room-by-room and scope out your new house.
Smart security tips for your West Palm Beach home
Once you’ve done your initial check of safety alarms and locks, you may think about improving your property’s safety. Begin with these security tips for your home in West Palm Beach.
- Invest in a modern home security system. One of the best tools for new homeowners in West Palm Beach is a home security system. Today’s wireless technology allows you to keep an eye on your property even when you’re at the office or on vacation. You can view up-to-the-second video feeds, control door locks, and even speak with visitors on your front porch straight from your mobile device. You can even personalize your defense with amazing security features such as video surveillance and monitored safety alarms.
- Upgrade outside lights. Outdoor lights with motion detectors are a great way to discourage prospective burglars. You can even integrate them with surveillance cameras. When a motion detector is set off, it can instruct your video equipment to record.
- Take care of your yard. Can you clearly see all of your property through your windows? Are there oversized bushes and trees blocking the view? Get rid of potential hiding spots for burglars by keeping your yard neat and tidy. Your neighbors will be grateful for it as well.
- Meet others in your community. Speaking of your neighbors, get familiar with them. If you are friendly with people around you, they’ll be more inclined to inform you if they detect suspicious activity. You might also connect to your community’s social media page if one is available.
- Benefit from home automation. If you install an innovative smart home, you can make it appear like you’re home by illuminating smart lights at programmed times. This is a fantastic feature when you’re not there.